Final Project

 

  ZHOU XINYI / 0378623

Motion Graphics & Compositing

 Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media

Table of Content

1.Instruction
2.Process Work
3.Feedback
4.reflection

1.Instruction 

Throughout this semester, I learned various motion graphics and compositing techniques using Adobe After Effects. Starting from simple animation exercises, I gradually developed the skills needed to create my final title sequence inspired by Stranger Things. This blog documents my learning journey, challenges, and reflections throughout each project.

2.Process Work

Here is my Google Drive link:Google Drive

Here is my YouTube link:

2.1Motion Graphics Exercise 1 – Mosaic Motion

The first exercise introduced the basic workflow of Adobe After Effects through a mosaic animation. I created a simple motion graphic using shape layers and keyframe animation to gradually reveal an image. This project helped me become familiar with the After Effects interface and understand how animation is created using keyframes.

What I Learned

  • Using Shape Layers
  • Applying Keyframes
  • Scale Animation
  • Understanding Timing
2.2 Project 1: Motion Graphics Exercise 2 – Kinetic Typography

In this exercise, I created a kinetic typography animation by combining text, motion and timing. The project focused on animating words and phrases to communicate messages more effectively through movement. This exercise also helped me understand how typography and animation can work together to create engaging visual communication.


What I Learned

  • Creating Text Animation
  • Using Position and Opacity Keyframes
  • Applying Easy Ease for smoother motion
  • Synchronising text with music and timing
  • Using Motion Blur to create more natural movement 

2.3 Project 1: Motion Graphics Exercise 3 – Remade Movie Title Sequence

In this exercise, I recreated a movie title sequence using Adobe After Effects. I analysed the original title sequence and reproduced its animation style, typography, transitions and timing. Through this project, I gained a better understanding of how motion graphics, visual storytelling and cinematic design work together to create an engaging opening sequence.

What I Learned
Analysing and recreating title sequence animations 
Camera Movement and Scene Composition 
Typography Design 
Transition Effects 
Visual Storytelling 
Synchronising animation with music

2.4 Project 2: Compositing Exercise 1 – Roto & Camera Tracking

In this exercise, I learned the basic techniques of compositing by using Roto Brush and Camera Tracking in Adobe After Effects. I separated objects from the original footage and tracked the camera movement to integrate new visual elements into the scene. This exercise improved my understanding of combining live-action footage with motion graphics.


What I Learned
Using Roto Brush to isolate subjects 
Applying 3D Camera Tracking 
Integrating graphics into live-action footage 
Understanding camera perspective 
Improving compositing workflow

2.5 Project 2: Compositing Exercise 2 – VFX Compositing

In this exercise, I explored visual effects compositing in Adobe After Effects. I combined different visual elements, effects and colour adjustments to create a more realistic and cinematic scene. This project helped me understand how visual effects can enhance the mood and atmosphere of a composition.


What I Learned
Applying Visual Effects (VFX) 
Colour Correction and Colour Grading 
Using Blend Modes 
Working with Lighting and Glow Effects 
Compositing Multiple Layers 
Creating Atmospheric Effects 

2.6 Project 2: Final Project Proposal

For the final project proposal, I developed the concept and planning for my title sequence animation inspired by Stranger Things. I prepared the project proposal by researching visual references, creating a mood board, developing a storyboard and planning the overall style of the animation. This proposal provided a clear direction before starting the production process.


What I Learned
Developing a project concept 
Researching visual references 
Creating a Mood Board 
Storyboard Planning 
Planning Animation Workflow 
Presenting Ideas Effectively
3.Feedback

week1

In Week 1, the teacher introduced us to the basic techniques of creating shapes and animations in After Effects. We learned how to use shape tools, keyframes, position, scale, and other essential functions to build simple motion graphics. These demonstrations helped me understand the workflow and gave me more confidence in using the software.During the class, we also discussed ideas and creative directions for the final project. The teacher encouraged us to think about unique concepts, visual styles, and how to express our ideas through animation. At the moment, I have not fully decided on my final project idea yet, but the discussion gave me inspiration and helped me start thinking about possible themes for future development.

week2

During Week 2, the teacher taught us the first four steps of creating the motion graphic animation in After Effects. We learned how to set up the composition, create the square mosaic effect, animate the mask path, and use a null object to control movement. The class helped me understand the workflow more clearly and improved my understanding of keyframing and animation structure.

week3

In Week 3, the teacher went through the whole process again from the beginning, which helped reinforce the techniques and made the steps easier to understand. We also discussed ideas for the final project and shared different creative directions in class. Through the discussion, I started developing more ideas for my horror-themed intro sequence and thought more about the visual style and atmosphere I want to create for my final work.

Week4

absent

Week5

During Friday’s class, the teacher showed us how to create this animation step by step in After Effects. We learned how to organize scenes, animate character movement, and arrange compositions on the timeline. The demonstration helped me understand the workflow more clearly and improved my confidence in using keyframes and scene transitions.At the end of the class, the teacher also recorded and shared a video tutorial for our next assignment. This will be very helpful because I can review the steps again outside of class and follow the process more easily while completing the homework.

Week6

During Week 6, the teacher taught us how to apply different animation effects in After Effects to improve the visual quality of our work. We learned how to use effects and transitions to create smoother and more dynamic motion.

The teacher also reviewed my final project PPT during class. After discussing my work, I realized that my mind map was not arranged correctly because it needed more visual connections and detailed idea development. The feedback helped me better understand how to organize my concepts and present my ideas more clearly for the final project.

Week7

During this week’s class, the teacher introduced us to the basic functions and interface of Blender. We learned simple operations such as moving objects, adjusting the camera, scaling, and navigating the 3D workspace. The class helped me become more familiar with using 3D software for the first time.

As part of the practice exercise, the teacher asked us to place a small rocket model in an open area around the school environment. This activity helped us understand how to combine 3D objects with space and perspective while experimenting with scene composition in Blender.

Week8

During Week 8, the lecturer introduced the basic visual effects in Blender and demonstrated how to create simple effects such as smoke, dust, and object interactions. The lecturer also explained how these effects could be combined with animation to make scenes more realistic. This helped me understand the workflow and prepared me for creating the effects needed in my final project.

week9

Absent

week10

During Week 10, the lecturer reviewed my Final Project presentation and provided feedback on my storyboard. The lecturer explained that the original storyboard did not clearly show the flow of the story and suggested that I make the sequence more logical and connected. I was also advised to improve the visual planning before starting the animation. Based on the feedback, I revised my storyboard and updated the story to create a clearer narrative and a stronger horror atmosphere inspired by Stranger Things.

week11

During Week 11, the lecturer reviewed my animation progress and provided feedback on my scenes. The lecturer mentioned that Scene 1 looked too empty and suggested adding a school building to make the environment more interesting. The camera movement was also considered too simple, so I was advised to improve the camera motion and create a stronger sense of depth. In addition, after reviewing my storyboard, the lecturer suggested moving the original Scene 4 to follow Scene 3, as this would make the story flow more smoothly and improve the overall narrative.

week12

During Week 12, I completed all the backgrounds and layers for each scene in my animation. After reviewing my progress, the lecturer commented that several scenes looked a little empty and suggested adding more visual elements and details to make the composition richer and more engaging.

week13

During Week 13, it was a consultation week. I showed my animation progress to the lecturer. The lecturer suggested that I should create a stronger 3D effect by improving the camera movement and adding more depth to the scenes. This would make the animation look more immersive and enhance the overall visual quality.

week14

The lecturer thought the overall concept and visual style were good. The storyboard was clear, and the dark red and black colour palette matched the Stranger Things theme well. The lecturer suggested making some of the text easier to read and improving the transitions between scenes. Overall, the project was developing well and only needed a few small adjustments.

The lecturer also explained the final submission requirements. We need to complete the final animation, organise the presentation slides clearly, include the development process and final outcome, and check that all files are correctly named before submission.

4.reflection

Throughout this module, I gradually developed my skills in Adobe After Effects, from creating simple motion graphics to producing a complete cinematic title sequence. Each project introduced new techniques, including keyframe animation, kinetic typography, compositing, camera tracking and visual effects, which prepared me for my final project.

During the production of my Stranger Things-inspired title sequence, I learned how to combine camera movement, sound effects, visual effects and storytelling to create a more immersive viewing experience. I also improved my ability to plan a project, organise different layers and refine my work based on the lecturer's feedback.

Although I faced challenges in creating smooth camera movements, balancing the composition and enhancing the atmosphere, I continued to improve my work through experimentation and revision. This module has strengthened both my technical skills and creative thinking, and it has increased my confidence in using Adobe After Effects to create motion graphics and title sequence animations. I hope to continue developing these skills in future projects.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography - Final Compilation & Reflection