Project 2: Final Project Proposal
Motion Graphics & Compositing
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Table of Content
2.1Process
2.1.1Idea Development
I began the project by researching different title sequence styles and choosing Stranger Things as the inspiration for my final animation. I collected visual references, explored the overall horror theme, and identified keywords such as mystery, supernatural, suspense, darkness, and the Upside Down.
Next, I created the presentation to organise my project ideas. I developed the concept, rationale, target audience, moodboard, colour palette, mind map, storyboard, and motion graphics references. Throughout the design process, I refined the content based on feedback and adjusted the visual style to a minimalist motion graphics approach using silhouettes, limited colours, and cinematic composition.
This planning stage helped me establish a clear direction before starting the production in Adobe Illustrator and After Effects.
Project Introduction
Working Title: Stranger Things: Into the Upside Down
Introduction:This project is a 30-second horror-themed intro sequence inspired by Stranger Things. The animation focuses on creating a dark and mysterious atmosphere through motion graphics, typography, lighting effects, and cinematic transitions. The intro sequence aims to create suspense and curiosity while introducing the audience to a supernatural world.
Rationale
Rationale: I chose Stranger Things because it combines horror, mystery, and suspense with a strong retro visual style. The series has many iconic elements such as dark environments, flashing lights, eerie sounds, and supernatural creatures, which are perfect for creating a dramatic and engaging intro sequence. Why This Idea is Proposed: This project idea allows me to explore horror-themed motion graphics through typography, lighting effects, shadows, and transitions. I can create tension within 30 seconds by using red glowing text, distorted movement, fog, and sudden visual changes. It is also a good opportunity to practice cinematic pacing and atmosphere design in After Effects.
Concept & Keywords
Rationale/ Conceptual:The concept is inspired by supernatural horror and psychological suspense. I want to create an intro sequence that feels mysterious, unsettling, and cinematic. The visual style will use dark colours, flashing lights, distorted movements, fog, shadows, and glowing red typography to build tension and create an eerie atmosphere.
The project also explores how motion graphics can communicate emotion and storytelling within a short duration.
Keywords:Mystery/Supernatural/Dark Atmosphere/Horror/Suspense/Distortion/Shadow/Red Glow/Fear/Cinematic
Target Audience & Communication Purpose
Rationale, Target Audience, and Communication Purpose
Rationale:
I chose a horror and supernatural theme because this genre allows me to explore atmosphere, emotion, and storytelling through visual effects. I want to create a cinematic intro that builds tension and curiosity within a short duration.
Target Audience:
The target audience is teenagers and young adults who enjoy horror, mystery, and supernatural genres.
Communication Purpose:
The purpose is to create a strong first impression and communicate a feeling of mystery, fear, and suspense through visual storytelling.
2.1.2Initial Attempt
For Scene 1, I first created the forest background and trees on my iPad using simple black silhouettes to match the dark horror style. I also drew the moon as a separate layer so it could be animated independently.
After importing all the assets into After Effects, I arranged the layers and added basic animations. I animated the moon slowly rising, created a slow camera zoom using scale animation, and added a subtle fog effect to make the forest feel more mysterious. Finally, I adjusted the colours and lighting to create a dark atmosphere inspired by Stranger Things.


week10
During Week 10, the lecturer reviewed my Final Project presentation and provided feedback on my storyboard. The lecturer explained that the original storyboard did not clearly show the flow of the story and suggested that I make the sequence more logical and connected. I was also advised to improve the visual planning before starting the animation. Based on the feedback, I revised my storyboard and updated the story to create a clearer narrative and a stronger horror atmosphere inspired by Stranger Things.
week11
During Week 11, the lecturer reviewed my animation progress and provided feedback on my scenes. The lecturer mentioned that Scene 1 looked too empty and suggested adding a school building to make the environment more interesting. The camera movement was also considered too simple, so I was advised to improve the camera motion and create a stronger sense of depth. In addition, after reviewing my storyboard, the lecturer suggested moving the original Scene 4 to follow Scene 3, as this would make the story flow more smoothly and improve the overall narrative.
week12
During Week 12, I completed all the backgrounds and layers for each scene in my animation. After reviewing my progress, the lecturer commented that several scenes looked a little empty and suggested adding more visual elements and details to make the composition richer and more engaging.
week13
During Week 13, it was a consultation week. I showed my animation progress to the lecturer. The lecturer suggested that I should create a stronger 3D effect by improving the camera movement and adding more depth to the scenes. This would make the animation look more immersive and enhance the overall visual quality.
week14
The lecturer thought the overall concept and visual style were good. The storyboard was clear, and the dark red and black colour palette matched the Stranger Things theme well. The lecturer suggested making some of the text easier to read and improving the transitions between scenes. Overall, the project was developing well and only needed a few small adjustments.
The lecturer also explained the final submission requirements. We need to complete the final animation, organise the presentation slides clearly, include the development process and final outcome, and check that all files are correctly named before submission.
This week, I improved the overall quality of my animation by applying the lecturer's feedback. Using a 3D camera and adding tree movement made the scenes feel more dynamic and immersive. The visual effects, text, sound effects and background music helped create a stronger horror atmosphere and supported the storytelling. Through this process, I learned how camera movement, sound and visual effects can work together to improve the audience's viewing experience. I will continue refining the details and transitions to make the final animation more polished.







Comments
Post a Comment