Information Design Exercise 1: Quantify Data

 ZHOU XINYI / 0378623

Information Design

 Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media

Table of Content

1.Instruction
2.Process Work
3.Feedback
4.reflection

1.Instruction 
2.Process Work

2.1 Exercise 1: Quantify & Visualize Data

Introduction
For this exercise, I chose rubber bands as my objects. I collected a total of 30 rubber bands and used their colours to classify the data.

Data Collection
I divided the rubber bands into six colour groups:
Orange – 3
Yellow – 4
Blue – 5
Maldives Green – 5
Light Pink – 6
Purple – 7
The total number of rubber bands is 30.

Visualization
For my visualisation, I was assigned LINE as the main visual element. I arranged the rubber bands into horizontal lines according to their colours. Each rubber band represents one unit, so the length of each line shows the quantity of that colour.
I arranged the groups from the smallest quantity to the largest quantity. This makes it easier to compare the different quantities visually.

Design Process
I first counted and separated all the rubber bands according to their colours. Then, I arranged each colour in a straight horizontal line and added labels showing the colour and quantity. I kept the layout simple so that the information could be understood easily.

Reflection
Through this exercise, I learned how physical objects can be used to represent data visually. I also learned that simple elements such as lines, colours and quantities can communicate information clearly without using complicated graphics.

Total: 30 rubber bands

 Fig.1.1 Exercise 1: Quantify & Visualize Data



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography - Final Compilation & Reflection